Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gossip - 1

“My feet hurt.”

“Well, I asked you to wear the red shoes but you insisted on the silver ones when you knew perfectly well they were going to hurt you.”

Mimi bent down, loosened a shoe strap and pushed her red painted toes as far out as they would go.

“But this pair goes very well with my bag.”

“Who cares about your bag,” Marini snorted. “Did you honestly think he’d be looking?”

“Who?”

“You know very well who.”

“I don’t. Seriously Mar, I don’t.”

“He only had eyes for his bride, as you might have observed.”

“You call that a bride? She looked like a Sunday School kid acting the part of an angel. Did you see her makeup? Too heavy for a girl her age. And did you see her fake smile?”

“Don’t tell me you are jealous.”

“Of course I am jealous.”

“I don’t understand you. You ditched him years ago and even went around for a while with his older brother, and now you're acting as if he’s the one leaving you and breaking your heart.”

“But my heart is broken.”

“I know. Your heart will break if your neighbor’s cat dies.”

“Why don’t you believe me? He was my first love, and you know what they say about first loves.”

“No, I don’t know what they say about first loves.”

“Well, it goes like this, they say no matter what happens to you in life, no matter how many boyfriends and husbands you have in life, you always…..”

“You know, Mim, sometimes you should think before you speak.”

“Stop calling me Mim. I hate it when you call me Mim. I hate it when anybody calls me Mim.”

“Tell me one good reason why.”

“It reminds me of him. He used to call me Vaimim.”

“Vaimim? Ha ha ha, that’s precious. Vaimim Vaimim….. Come to think of it, you look somewhat like the corn my mother used to buy when I was a kid, with your pointy chin and your silky hair that changes colour every fortnight. But when did he call you that? He’s always called you Mimi.”

“Oh it was a long time ago. I guess we were in class 4 or 5, we used to sit together in class, and I remember he once wrote Vaimim on all my notebooks and I reported him to Miss Malsawmi, and she made him erase everything. I made a face at him afterwards and he hit me on the head.”

“Precious memories.”

"And I still haven’t forgiven him for hitting me on the head.”

“And will you forgive his getting married?”

“Never. He’s betrayed me completely.”

“Stop the drama, will you? I saw you flirting with that cousin of his, what’s his name, RK-a?

“Yes, I also gave him my phone number.”

“I'm not surprised; you never were one to miss an opportunity.”

“But that doesn’t mean I've forgiven Zotea for leaving me and getting married to that girl, what's her name again?”

“Cecilia.”

“Phuh.. what a fake sounding name. Do you think she looks like a Cecilia? I think she looks like a …”

“Hold it, my phone’s ringing. Hello….”

7 comments:

Jona said...

Can't wait to read the rest of the story. Just one suggestion: I was thinking perhaps it'd be good to add somewhere a line or two (for those who don't know what 'Vaimim' is) like, "Do I look like corn?" or something like that.

Keep the pen/keyboard busy!

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Thanks Jon, I've made some change to the vaimim part, check it out.

Calliopia said...

Promising start, ambs.

PICTURESQUER said...

good goood!!

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Thank you, folks, you've made an old woman happy :P

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Hey, you sound like a pro already!
can't wait to read the rest. Keep the grey cells ticking and the keyboard tapping.

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Do I? Thanks a zilllion, I know you mean it and that's something really wonderful. Pray for me that I'll get better with time :)